Disability Services

adaThe Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act require that no otherwise qualified person with a disability be denied access to, or the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination of any program or activity provided by an institution or entity receiving federal financial assistance. It is this Section 504 mandate that has promoted the development of disability support service programs in colleges and universities across the country. Subpart E of Section 504 deals specifically with this mandate for institutions of higher education. While it does not require that special educational programming is< developed for students with disabilities, it does require that an institution (public or private) be prepared to make appropriate academic adjustments and reasonable accommodations to allow the full participation of students with disabilities in the same programs and activities available to nondisabled students.

 The goal of Midland College is to help students achieve their educational goals.  Students have certain rights and responsibilities, Student Rights & Responsibilities section of the Midland College catalog.

If a student believes an action or decision made by an instructor or staff violates their rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act, they may initiate a grievance procedure. The first step should be to address the problem with the instructor or staff person. Next Disability staff can be consulted to help resolve the issue. If not satisfied, the student should contact the Dean of Enrollment Management.

 If concerns are not resolved at this level, the Dean Enrollment Management can provide directions for the Student Due Process Appeal Procedure.

Service animals and assistance/emotional support animals are not pets. They are an animal that works, provides assistance, or performs tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability, or provides emotional support that alleviates one or more identified symptoms or effects of a person’s disability. Midland College is committed to compliance with state and federal laws regarding individuals with disabilities. All questions regarding service animals and assistance/emotional support animals should be directed to the Student Disability Services (SDS) office in the Scharbauer Student Center Room 239 or by phone 432-685-4505. 

The Midland College Students with Disabilities Office provides services to students with a variety of disabilities to obtain the job skills necessary to compete in today’s workforce. The office is designed to assist students with disabilities to identify interests for which they have an aptitude and to assist the student to learn the skills for the identified job. Classroom accommodations can be made to ensure classroom success. To be considered for accommodations, please follow these steps:

  1. Complete the Disabilities Accommodation Application (pdf)

  2. Provide supporting documentation for your application.

    Usually, this is an evaluation by a qualified professional, such as a medical doctor, diagnostician and/or psychologist. We highly recommended that the evaluation is no more than five years old. It should show current functioning of the student.

  3. Submit completed application and supporting documentation for review:  sgrinnan@midland.edu or return to room 239 in the Scharbauer Student Center. It is highly recommended to submit about a month before your classes begin. It may take two or more weeks for processing.

  4. After the counselors review your requests, which can take two or more weeks, you will be contacted to discuss disabilities and accommodations for the upcoming semester.

Note: Accommodations must be requested each semester.

Free Services at the Main Campus

For more information, please contact:
Shep Grinnan
SSC 239
(432) 685-4505