Pursuing a Computer Science degree will provide marketable skills in these areas:
- Programming – Writing computer programs
- Critical Thinking – Thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- Reading Comprehension – Reading work-related information
- Complex Problem Solving – Noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- Operations Analysis – Figuring out what a product or service needs to be able to do
- Active Listening – Listening to others, not interrupting, and asking the right questions
- Active Learning – Figuring out how to use new ideas or things
- Judgment and Decision Making – Thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
A computer science degree allows you to work at the forefront of the next most significant technological innovations. The increasing scope of computer science offers the choice to work in a wide variety of highly specialized areas. With computer technologies playing an ever-growing role in all aspects of modern life, computer science skills will be high demand across many different industries although, unsurprisingly, most graduates go into positions within the computer industry. Popular computer science careers include:
- IT Consultant
- Information Systems Manager
- Database Administrator
- Multimedia programmer
- Data Management
- Database Design
- Database Administration
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Computer Programmers
- Software Developers, Applications
- Software Developers, Systems Software
- Software Quality Assurance Engineers and Testers
- Computer Systems Engineers/Architects
- Web Administrators
- Database Architects
- Data Warehousing Specialists
Texas Workforce Commission projects employment opportunities for software developers will increase 44% throughout the next decade. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), web development jobs will increase by 13% from 2018-2028, adding nearly 20,900 new positions to the economy.
No Purchase Necessary
Students are NOT required to purchase their own computer or software. The MC Computer Science lab and classrooms are equipped with high-end computers and the same software used by professionals in the field.
Apply for General Scholarships through the Financial Aid Portal
How to Apply
- Go to our Financial Aid Portal, by clicking this link: Financial Aid Portal
- Log in using your SSN and Password. If this is your first time, click the "First Time
User" link under the Submit button in the "Log In" box.
- Click the menu button at the top left hand corner.
- Select the Scholarship Application.
For additional general scholarship details and deadlines, visit the General Scholarships
The student's FAFSA application must be on file with MC Financial Aid to access the Financial Aid Portal and apply for scholarships.
If the student's FAFSA application is not on file with MC Financial Aid, the student
needs to complete the FAFSA application, and once processed, will have access to complete
the general scholarship application.
Why study Computer Science at MC?
Apply to MC Now
Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.