The study of philosophy will prepare you to think clearly and take on serious challenges, no matter what your future goals might be.
Life's Biggest Questions
- What is reality really like?
- What is the difference between knowing and believing?
- What does it mean to be a “good person”?
- What is the best way to shape society?
- What is beauty, and what does that mean?
- How do people think?
As a student of philosophy you won’t simply be taught the answers to these questions but instead, how best to ask them. You will learn to use rigorous, rational, and critical methods of thinking to engage with these big issues and with the some of the greatest thinkers in human history.
Philosophy students go on to work in a variety of professional fields including: Education, Law, Medicine, Business, and Technology.
The School of Athens by Raffaello Sanzio da Urbino (Raphael) Source: Musei Vaticani
Click links below for details
Apply for General Scholarships through the Financial Aid Portal
The student's FAFSA application must be on file with MC Financial Aid to access the Financial Aid Portal and apply for scholarships.
If the student's FAFSA application is not on file with MC Financial Aid, the student
needs to complete the FAFSA application, and once processed, will have access to complete
the general scholarship application.
How to Apply
- Complete current year FAFSA or TASFA applications
- Register for 6+ credit hours towards a degree or certification
- Minimum GPA of 2.50 or higher each semester
For additional scholarship details and deadlines, visit the General Scholarships page.
Midland College has articulation agreements with a variety of schools and programs to assist our students with transferring to a university. Our curriculum maps, located in the catalog, provide a guided path for general transfer to our top five receiving institutions; however, your Pathways Advisor can assist you with a personalized plan for your specific transfer based on university and program. It is strongly recommended and encouraged that you contact your Pathways Advisor for assistance with course selection if you plan to transfer.
- Some philosophy majors choose to continue their studies in graduate school, and go on to research and teach at universities, colleges, or high schools; however, most work professionally in many other fields.
- Philosophy majors have some of the highest acceptance rates at medical and law schools because of their thinking and communication skills.
- Philosophy students also find success in business as investors, stock brokers, marketers, managers and editors.
- Because of their focus on logic, many philosophy majors today have made careers for themselves with technology companies, who see the connection between computer science and human problem solving.
- Study in philosophy can be applied to just about any career because of the way it teaches you to work hard, communicate clearly, and most importantly, think critically about the world around you.
Visit the course catalog for the most complete and up-to-date information.
Fine Arts and Communications
Apply to MC Now
Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.