Fire Science Technology
Pursuing a degree in this field of study will provide marketable skills in these areas:
- Monitoring – Keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- Active Listening – Listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- Judgment and Decision Making – Evaluating different options and selecting the most appropriate plans of action
- Critical Thinking – Intellectually processing information actively and skillfully to analyze and/or synthesize material presented in a variety of ways
- Operation and Control – Using equipment or systems individually and as a team member
- Service Orientation – Providing active and proactive assistance to those in need
- Time Management – Prioritize workload to attend to the most critical needs first, and if needed, be willing to ask for help
- Writing – Demonstrating complete, accurate and effective professional documentation
- Communication – Using active listening skills and speaking effectively with a diverse population
There are a number of exciting and in-demand career options in the fire service field, including:
- Municipal Firefighters
- Municipal Fire Fighting and Prevention Supervisors
- Forest and Conservation Technicians
- Forest Fire Fighting and Prevention Supervisors
- Insurance Inspection
- Industrial Safety Technician
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employment of firefighters is projected to grow 7% from 2016 to 2026.
Application and Background Check Release
Fire Academy Prerequisites
- High School Graduate
- 18 years of age
- Interview with the Department Chair
- To schedule an interview with the department chair, contact Mark Kuhn at firstname.lastname@example.org or (432) 685-6757.
Associate of Applied Science Prerequisites
No prerequisites required.
Certified Firefighters are eligible for the degree program, and will be credited 27 hours (first two semesters) for their certificate.
- Course work: 40% classroom, 60% hands-on
- Excellent classroom facilities
- 2-fire trucks
- Use of Midland Fire Dept Harris Training Field
- Knowledgeable instruction staff comprised of firefighters from area fire departments
- Numerous joint activities with area fire departments
- Excellent pass rates on Texas Commission on Fire Protection certification exam
Apply for General Scholarships through the Financial Aid Portal
How to Apply
- Login to My MC Portal
- Click the Students tab
- Click the "Financial Aid Portal" link
- Under Log In, provide your Social Security Number and password. If you do not have a password, click the "First Time User" link at the bottom-right and follow prompts.
For additional general scholarship details and deadlines, visit the General Scholarships
Missing the "Financial Aid Portal" link?
To have access to the Financial Aid portal and apply for scholarships, the student's FAFSA application must be on file with MC Financial Aid.
If the students FAFSA application is not on file with MC Financial Aid, the student
must fill out the FAFSA application first and once processed, will be able to complete
the general scholarship application.
Why study Fire Science Technology at MC?
PLEASE NOTE: Completion of Midland College degrees and/or certificates does not guarantee eligibility to take a certification/registry/licensure examination. The eligibility of each person is determined on an individual basis by the regulatory body of the specific discipline. If you have a conviction of a crime other than a minor traffic violation, physical or mental disability/illness, hospitalization/treatment for chemical dependency within the past five years, current intemperate use of drugs or alcohol or a previous denial of a licensure or action by a licensing authority, you will need to contact the specific regulatory body for an individual ruling. Some programs require a criminal background check and urine and drug screen.
Apply to MC Now
Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.