Pursuing a degree in this field of study will provide marketable skills in these areas:
- Troubleshooting – Figuring out what is causing equipment, machines, wiring, or computer programs to not working
- Operation Monitoring – Watching gauges, dials, or display screens to make sure a machine is working
- Operation and Control – Using equipment or systems
- Communication skills
- Critical Thinking – Thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- Teamwork skills
- Reading Comprehension – Reading work-related information
A sample of energy technology jobs include:
- Geophysical Data Technicians
- Geological Sample Test Technician
- Frac Technician
- Wellhead Service Technician
- Oil Measurement Technician
- Wireline Technician
- Gas Plant Operator
- Production Technician
- Well Performance Specialist
- Lab Technician
- I & E Technician
- Automation Technician
- Geotech Field Technician
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employment of geological and petroleum technicians is projected to grow 16% from 2016 to 2026, much faster than the average for all occupations. Demand for natural gas is expected to increase demand for geological exploration and extraction in the future.
With a certificate from Midland College’s Petroleum Energy Technology program, students will be prepared for entry level positions as lease operators, lease managers, and general field service technicians within the oil and gas industry. Other career paths may require students to perform different functions as members of an oil and gas production team.
The Energy Technician Certificate and the Petroleum Energy Technician Certificate coursework focus' on highly specialized technical classes. Safety practices and training are an important part of the program. Communication, leadership, and teamwork concepts are fundamental to the hands-on laboratory experiences which are incorporated.
Apply for General Scholarships through the Financial Aid Portal
How to Apply
- Go to our Financial Aid Portal, by clicking this link: Financial Aid Portal
- Log in using your SSN and Password. If this is your first time, click the "First Time
User" link under the Submit button in the "Log In" box.
- Click the menu button at the top left hand corner.
- Select the Scholarship Application.
For additional general scholarship details and deadlines, visit the General Scholarships
The student's FAFSA application must be on file with MC Financial Aid to access the Financial Aid Portal and apply for scholarships.
If the student's FAFSA application is not on file with MC Financial Aid, the student
needs to complete the FAFSA application, and once processed, will have access to complete
the general scholarship application.
Apply to MC Now
Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.