Being able to communicate well in writing is a skill necessary to every professional position, no matter the degree. An English degree, thus, hones this expertise in communication through composition — no matter the genre or no matter the type.
To have the added benefit of literary studies and expertise allows the student majoring in English to understand the cultural currents and traditions as expressed through the writing of any given culture—American, British, Western, World—thus, making the student proficient both in cultural understanding through literature as well as the various genres themselves.
Through creative writing classes, the student has opportunity to study and explore one or more genres in structure and practice, and technical writing study allows the student to become proficient in the writing requirements specific to business.
A major in English allows the student a cross-cultural and multi-skilled approach for communication in English.
Click links below for details
SYLVIA MAJOR KRUSEKOPH ENGLISH SCHOLARSHIP
$500 — awarded annually to a student recognized by his/her professors as gifted in creative writing
Apply for General Scholarships through the Financial Aid Portal
The student's FAFSA application must be on file with MC Financial Aid to access the Financial Aid Portal and apply for scholarships.
If the student's FAFSA application is not on file with MC Financial Aid, the student
needs to complete the FAFSA application, and once processed, will have access to complete
the general scholarship application.
How to Apply
- Go to our Financial Aid Portal, by clicking this link: Financial Aid Portal
- Log in using your SSN and Password. If this is your first time, click the "First Time User" link under the Submit button in the "Log In" box.
- Click the menu button at the top left-hand corner.
- Select the Scholarship Application.
For additional scholarship details and deadlines, visit the General Scholarships page.
Language Hub services
- Face-to-Face Tutoring in Language Hub (TC Annex 182)
- Online tutoring through the Language Hub Online Canvas course
- Seminars & Workshops throughout the regular terms on areas of composition
- Special events
- Trained peer, staff, faculty tutors
- Available for students in all course modes: hybrid, Face-to-Face, and Online
- Language Lab
- Pizza Party/Meet & Greet at the beginning of each semester
Dual Credit English Courses
Offered at several high schools across West Texas
Rebecca Watson Creative Writing Contest
Fall term only, including monetary/possible publication prizes in the genres of essay, short story, and poetry.
Nonfiction Writing Contest
Spring term only, including monetary/possible publication prizes in the genres of research essays/reports, feature stories (i.e., profiles of people, places, or businesses), and narrative nonfiction.
Hilda Simmons Levitt Poetry Contest
Spring term only, including monetary/possible publication prizes in all forms of poetry.
Sigma Kappa Delta
Sigma Kappa Delta is the English Honor Society for two-year colleges.
Campus and dual-credit free showings of literary-based films.
A lecture/film program, presented by Professor Andrew Latham. Spooky Lecture is held every October, focusing upon and showing an iconic horror motion picture.
Midland College has articulation agreements with a variety of schools and programs to assist our students with transferring to a university. Our curriculum maps, located in the catalog, provide a guided path for general transfer to our top five receiving institutions; however, your Pathways Advisor can assist you with a personalized plan for your specific transfer based on university and program. It is strongly recommended and encouraged that you contact your Pathways Advisor for assistance with course selection if you plan to transfer.
MAJORing IN ENGLISH opens doors in many careers
- Technical writing
- Teaching (all levels)
- Law or medicine (the third highest major of applicants entering these professional schools)
- Creative writing (all levels and all genres)
- Business and Management
- as well as other careers by being proficient — no matter the ultimate career(s) — where writing, reading, and comprehension clearly and well are a must.
Famous English Majors
- Mitt Romney, CEO of Bain Capital, was an English major (Brigham Young University)
- Mario Cuomo, former New York governor majored in English (St. John’s University)
- Angelo Bartlett Giamatti, former president of Yale University and seventh Commissioner of Major League Baseball, received his English degree from Yale
- Sting, singer, was an English major (Northern Counties College of Education)
- Michael Eisner, former Disney CEO, was a double major in English and theatre (Denison University)
- Barbara Walters was an English Major (Sarah Lawrence College)
- Steven Spielberg, award-winning film director was an English major (California State University, Long Beach)
Visit the course catalog for the most complete and up-to-date information.
William Christopher Brown, Ph.D.
Chair, English and Language Arts
Fine Arts & Communications
Allison Fine Arts Building
Apply to MC Now
Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.