Geraldine Box, Jack Scannell & Charles Simmons History Scholarship
Students who are interested in transferring to major in history and have completed 6 semester credit hours in history at Midland College, may apply for an award of $250 each semester.
To apply for any MC Scholarship through AcademicWorks:
1. APPLY at https://midland.academicworks.com
2. Confirm the link sent to your email and complete application
3. Check your MC student email for notifications of award
4. Accept award & write your electronic thank you letter to the donor
*Already receiving a scholarship? Don't forget to update your application each semester! You will receive an email when it is time to do so.
ASSOCIATE OF ARTS DEGREE IN GENERAL STUDIES (AA)
Midland College does not offer the AA degree in any specific major. Instead, students who wish to transfer to a four-year university to complete a Bachelor’s Degree are place on a “University Bound” path that includes 42 semester credit hours in the Core Curriculum and 18 additional semester credit hours in transfer coursework. The Core Curriculum is a set of courses that provide the knowledge, skills and educational experiences needed to succeed in higher education. The Midland College Core Curriculum will transfer to any Texas state college or university and satisfy core requirements at the receiving institution.
Your Pathways Advisor can assist you with a personalized plan for your specific transfer
based on university and program. It is strongly recommended and encouraged that you
contact your Pathways Advisor for assistance with course selection if you plan to
Students with an interest in History as a major will choose one of the following paths:
- History – Transfer/Graduate School – Know your institution
- Semesters 3 and 4 choices based on transfer
- Majors must have 6 Semester Credit Hours (SCH) in Western Civilizations I and II and 6 SCH 1301, 1302, or 2301
- TTU/ASU have 6 SCH language requirement at sophomore level or above – get that done at MC.
- History – Texas Teacher Certification
- History – Law School
With a Bachelor’s Degree (BA) in History, you may choose to pursue an advanced degree: MA, PhD, or JD. With a BA, though, you can be an educator, researcher, communicator, information manager, advocate, or entrepreneur.
Midland, Texas is a community where a degree pays. Studying history at MC can prepare you for a career in a variety of fields. Among the jobs you may consider: teacher, archivist, librarian, researcher, landman, legal assistant, legal researcher, law enforcement (police, Border Patrol, US Marshals Service), personnel manager, broadcaster … the list is almost endless. Local employers to consider include:
- Midland Independent School District (MISD)
- City of Midland
- Area Cultural Organizations
Public Servants and Advocates
- George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States (Yale University)
- W.E.B. DuBois, co-founder of the NAACP (Fisk University, first African American to earn a PhD from Harvard University)
- Newt Gingrich, former Speaker of the House (Emory University)
- Richard Nixon, 37th President of the United States (Whittier College)
- Franklin D. Roosevelt, 32nd President of the United States (Harvard University)
- Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States (Harvard University)
- Antonin Scalia, Supreme Court Justice (Georgetown University)
- Woodrow Wilson, 28th President of the United States (Princeton University)
Other Public Figures
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Hall of Fame basketball player, (UCLA)
- Chris Berman, ESPN sports anchor (Brown University)
- Wolf Blitzer, CNN news anchor (SUNY-Buffalo)
- Janeane Garofalo, actress/comedian (Providence College)
- Conan O’Brien, comedian and late night talk show host (Harvard University)
Student Success Story
Midland High School graduate Preston Lann finished his Associate of Arts Degree at Midland College in 2003. He went on to study at Texas Tech University where he received a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science and Sociology. Lann joined the United States Marine Corps in 2008 and served as an air support officer until 2012.
Lann is currently working on his Master’s Degree in History at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. and has recently joined the Marine Corps Reserves.
Apply to MC Now
Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.