Geraldine Box, Jack Scannell & Charles Simmons History Scholarship
Students who are interested in transferring to major in history and have completed
6 semester credit hours in history at Midland College, may apply for an award of $250
Apply for General Scholarships through the Financial Aid Portal
How to Apply
- Login to My MC Portal
- Click the Students tab
- Click the "Financial Aid Portal" link
- Under Log In, provide your Social Security Number and password. If you do not have a password, click the "First Time User" link at the bottom-right and follow prompts.
For additional general scholarship details and deadlines, visit the General Scholarships
Missing the "Financial Aid Portal" link?
To have access to the Financial Aid portal and apply for scholarships, the student's FAFSA application must be on file with MC Financial Aid.
If the students FAFSA application is not on file with MC Financial Aid, the student
must fill out the FAFSA application first and once processed, will be able to complete
the general scholarship application.
ASSOCIATE OF ARTS DEGREE IN GENERAL STUDIES (AA)
Midland College does not offer the AA degree in any specific major. Instead, students who wish to transfer to a four-year university to complete a Bachelor’s Degree are place on a “University Bound” path that includes 42 semester credit hours in the Core Curriculum and 18 additional semester credit hours in transfer coursework. The Core Curriculum is a set of courses that provide the knowledge, skills and educational experiences needed to succeed in higher education. The Midland College Core Curriculum will transfer to any Texas state college or university and satisfy core requirements at the receiving institution.
Your Pathways Advisor can assist you with a personalized plan for your specific transfer
based on university and program. It is strongly recommended and encouraged that you
contact your Pathways Advisor for assistance with course selection if you plan to
Students with an interest in History as a major Can choose one of the following paths:
History – Transfer/Graduate School – Know your institution
- Semesters 3 and 4 choices based on transfer
- Majors must have 6 Semester Credit Hours (SCH) in Western Civilizations I and II and 6 SCH 1301, 1302, or 2301
- TTU/ASU have 6 SCH language requirement at sophomore level or above – get that done at MC.
History – Texas Teacher Certification
History – Law School
With a Bachelor’s Degree (BA) in History, you may choose to pursue an advanced degree: MA, PhD, or JD. With a BA, though, you can be an educator, researcher, communicator, information manager, advocate, or entrepreneur.
Midland, Texas is a community where a degree pays. Studying history at MC can prepare you for a career in a variety of fields. Among the jobs you may consider: teacher, archivist, librarian, researcher, landman, legal assistant, legal researcher, law enforcement (police, Border Patrol, US Marshals Service), personnel manager, broadcaster, and many more. Local employers to consider include:
- Midland Independent School District (MISD)
- City of Midland
- Area Cultural Organizations
- George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States (Yale University)
- W.E.B. DuBois, co-founder of the NAACP (Fisk University, first African American to earn a PhD from Harvard University)
- Newt Gingrich, former Speaker of the House (Emory University)
- Richard Nixon, 37th President of the United States (Whittier College)
- Franklin D. Roosevelt, 32nd President of the United States (Harvard University)
- Theodore Roosevelt, 26th President of the United States (Harvard University)
- Antonin Scalia, Supreme Court Justice (Georgetown University)
- Woodrow Wilson, 28th President of the United States (Princeton University)
Other Public Figures
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Hall of Fame basketball player, (UCLA)
- Chris Berman, ESPN sports anchor (Brown University)
- Wolf Blitzer, CNN news anchor (SUNY-Buffalo)
- Janeane Garofalo, actress/comedian (Providence College)
- Conan O’Brien, comedian and late night talk show host (Harvard University)
Student Success Story
Midland High School graduate Preston Lann finished his Associate of Arts Degree at Midland College in 2003. He went on to study at Texas Tech University where he received a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science and Sociology. Lann joined the United States Marine Corps in 2008 and served as an air support officer until 2012.
Lann is currently working on his Master’s Degree in History at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. and has recently joined the Marine Corps Reserves.
Apply to MC Now
Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.