Phlebotomy technicians make up to $45,190/year in the state of Texas! Common areas of work include hospitals, clinics, commercial laboratories, medical offices, and blood banks.
The job of a phlebotomist is a rewarding career that can also be a stepping stone to future careers such as medical assistants, lab techs, or nursing.
We prepare students to perform a variety of blood collection methods. Upon completion of this hands-on training, students will be able to seek employment as phlebotomy technicians.
WORKFORCE SOLUTIONS (WIOA) ELIGIBLE
Students choosing this academic pathway may receive funding and other financial assistance and support from Workforce Solutions. See www.facebook.com/PermianBasinWorkforce, call (432) 287-5200 (option 5), or open the flyer for information on the services they provide in partnership with Midland College. The Workforce Solutions office is located on Midland College's main campus, in room 138 of the Technology Center (TC) Building.
Why choose Phlebotomy @ MC?
Midland College works in partnership with several hospitals and clinics in our surrounding
area to provide a quality, hands-on training experience.
CLASS TIMES - ALLOW STUDENTS TO WORK
- Class room training: Wednesday evening, 6 pm – 10 pm
- Clinical training: 80 hours, 2-3 days/evenings per week
Yolanda Romero-Ortiz has taught Phlebotomy at MC for over a decade. She is an experienced phlebotomist who effectively communicates the skills, abilities, and knowledge that her students need to be successful in this course and to be prepared to work in a healthcare environment.
Join Our Program
- PLAB1023: Phlebotomy Classroom
Meets Wednesday, 6 – 10 pm
- PLAB1060: Phlebotomy Clinical
80 clinical hours will be scheduled with local healthcare facilities to provide the student with experience in phlebotomy skills. The clinicals will be 2–3 days/week and will be the hours of 7 am – 3 pm, 3 pm – 11 pm, or 11 pm – 7 am.
The clinical course is an unpaid learning experience.
- Total 136 hours/13.6 CEUs
ATC Room 212
Midland Memorial Hospital, Midland Memorial (West), ReGen Spa, Martin County Hospital, Scenic Mountain Medical Center (Big Spring), Rankin County Hospital, Ward Memorial Hospital (Monahans).
- Must be 18 years or older
- Copy of photo ID or driver’s license
- Copy of social security card
- Copy of current CPR certification – Must be American Heart Association, BLS, within past 2 years.
- Copy of high school diploma/GED
- Copy of health insurance card
- Copy of Immunizations:
- COVID 19
- Flu (October - March)
- Tetanus (Td or Tdap) - within last 10 years
- MMR - must have 2 shots if born after 1957
- Varicella (chicken pox) - 2 doses required
- Hepatitis B series - must have all 3 shots
- Tuberculosis (TB) test (negative result) - within last 12 months
- All immunizations must be complete prior to registration
- Pass criminal background check - processed by MC
- Drug screening will be conducted on the first night of class
UniformScrubs: hunter green (top) and khaki (bottom), safety glasses or eyeglasses
Available at the MC Bookstore, located at the MC main campus: 3600 N. Garfield, Midland, TX
Phlebotomy PatchAvailable at the Midland College Bookstore
TextbookPhlebotomy Essentials 7th ed. Ruth McCall & Cathee M. Tankersly
Available at the Midland College Bookstore
Application & Enrollment
The full payment of $749 and completed application packet must be turned in to register for the course. Our policy is first-come, first-served and the classes fill quickly.
Call for advisor/registration appointment (432) 681-6338!
Health Sciences Continuing Education Opportunity
Scholarships are available for qualified applicants. Apply in the department office with proof of household income and a one-page essay expressing goals and financial needs.
Casa de Amigos Scholarship Opportunity
Call (432) 682-9701 or visit www.casadeamigosmidland.org
Workforce Solutions Scholarship Opportunity
Contact Priscilla Trejo at (432) 686-4879 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
As a Phlebotomy Technician student, expect
- Classes on Wednesday, 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- Clinical hours, TBA
- Work closely with a small group of students
- 5 - 10 hours/week outside of class study time to be successful
- 56 hours of classroom instruction
- 80 hours of clinical instruction
Upon Successful Completion of the Program
Be prepared to take a certification exam:
- The American Society for Clinical Pathology exam, PBT (ASCP), $135, or
- The National Health Career Association exam, CPT (NHA), $117
Interested in MC's Phlebotomy Program?
Call (432) 681-6338
And Schedule an Advisor/Registration Appointment