Keeping Your AidFinancial Aid

Federal and state regulations require that all financial aid recipients meet specific academic standards called Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). To maintain eligibility for federal, state and some forms of institutional aid, students must meet SAP and continue to register for courses in their degree plan.

Students receiving financial aid are required to progress toward a certificate, degree, or curriculum pathway during all periods of enrollment, including periods when a student did not receive financial aid. To maintain eligibility for federal, state, and some forms of institutional aid, students must meet the following three components of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP):

  • Complete a minimum of 67% of all attempted hours for which you have registered (this includes withdrawal hours)
  • Maintain a cumulative (overall) GPA of 2.0
  • Complete degree requirements within a certain time frame. Credit hours cannot exceed 150 percent of the minimum number of hours required to complete the current program of study. For example, if you are taking classes for an Associate’s Degree, which requires 60 credit hours for completion, your attempted hours cannot exceed 90.

SAP Policy (pdf)

Financial aid can only pay for courses on your degree plan. Therefore we strongly advise the following:

  • Make sure that the major listed in your MC Portal is correct.
  • Work with your assigned Pathways Advisor to select your courses each semester (avoid trying to register without advising).
  • If you are signing up for courses on My MC Portal, watch for the warning that the course is not on your degree plan.
  • Before dropping a class or making a schedule change, check with the financial aid office to determine if the drop/change will affect your aid.
  • Schedule changes on or after the first day of class are absolutely discouraged as they can result in the return of funds already applied to your student account. 

If a student receives financial aid grants or loans, they must attend their classes. Students should not drop or stop attending any class without first consulting the Financial Aid Office to find out how doing so may affect their aid. Changes in enrollment levels or failing grades may require students to repay federal financial aid funds.

Federal regulations require a student to repay any unearned portion of financial aid funds if they withdraw from ALL classes before satisfying 60 percent completion for the enrollment term.

A student may also be required to repay financial aid funds if they receive failing grades in ALL of their classes, unless an instructor can document attendance for at least 60 percent of the enrollment term.

Return to Title IV Policy (pdf)

Apply to MC Now

Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.

How to Apply