Childcare & DevelopmentAssociate of Applied Science
Do you have a passion for shaping the future? Do you desire to inspire the youth around you because of your passion? If so, Midland College’s Childcare and Development program is designed for students like you who want to have a profound, positive effect on society through children.
Our program offers the knowledge and technical skills you need to enter the childcare development profession. At Midland College, the Associate of Applied Science for Childcare and Development program offers students an in-depth study of young children from birth to twelve years of age. The curriculum is designed to develop basic skills, attitudes, and competencies necessary for working effectively with children. Students learn by observing and participating in hands-on lab assignments required for all courses.
Students who complete the AAS in Childcare and Development will graduate with a solid understanding of the key areas of education theory, curriculum planning, and childhood development that are essential for successful careers as teachers, assistants, and administrators in childcare and childhood education organizations.
click Links below for details
Pursuing a Childcare and Development degree will provide marketable skills in these areas:
- Speaking – Talking to others
- Learning Strategies – Using the best training or teaching strategies for learning new things
- Instructing – Teaching people how to do something
- Active Listening – Listening without interruption and asking good questions
- Coordination – Changing what is done dependent on other people's actions
- Social Perceptiveness – Understanding people's reactions
- Critical Thinking – Thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- Reading Comprehension – Reading work-related information
- Monitoring – Keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- Service Orientation – Assisting people
- Time Management – Managing your time and the time of other people
- Judgment and Decision Making – Thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- Active Learning – Figuring out how to use new ideas or things
Employment is available with programs such as Head Start, Even Start, private and public child-care facilities, and preschools serving the needs of children birth to twelve years of age. Private and public schools also employ students as educational assistants.
Earning an AAS degree in Childcare and Development leads to a variety of career opportunities in the following fields such as:
- Child Care Worker
- Educational Assistants
- Head Start and Early Care Teachers
- Early Care Administration
- Early Intervention
- Home Visiting
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment is projected to grow 11% from 2016 to 2026, faster than the average for all occupations. Overall job opportunities for preschool and childcare center assistants and directors are expected to be favorable.
Whether you are already working in a daycare, hoping to enter the childcare field, or want to open your own home or center-based daycare, Midland College is sure to have the right options for you. Students can choose from one of three certificates or build on those certificates to complete your Associate of Applied Science degree in Childcare and Development.
Course options are geared to help you be successful, complete your program in a timely manner, and get you on your way to helping children and families in your care.
For more information, contact the Education Office at (432) 685-6870 and get the help you need to customize a program to meet your needs.
The purpose of the Permian Basin Workforce Development Board (PBWDB) Child Care Scholarship
is to improve the quality of child care offered in child care facilities serving the
Permian Basin. Trained/skilled caregivers can have the greatest impact on the care
provided to our children. Quality child care has a long term impact on the lives of
children and positively impacts society. The scholarship is available to caregivers
who are employed part-time or full-time in a facility
participating in the Child Care Services (CCS) program.
Applicants must provide documentation proof for the following criteria:
- employed part time or full time by a child care facility participating in the Child Care Services (CCS) program as verified by the PBWDB or the PBWDB's child care contract
- must be employed at a CCS child care center at the time the semester starts and remain employed throughout the semester
- earn less than $15.00 per hour
- 18 years of age or older
- Texas resident
U.S. citizen or a non-citizen authorized to work in the United States and meet Midland College enrollment requirements
Scholarship awards cover tuition, fees, and books for Childcare and Development courses (CDEC and TECA) up to $950 per semester. A minimum GPA of 2.75 must be maintained to renew scholarship..
New students must seek advisement through the Education Division/Child Development department. Contact Denise McKown (432) 685-6809, for student advising.
Child Care Scholarship Application (pdf)
MC General Scholarships
Apply for General Scholarships through the Financial Aid Portal
The student's FAFSA application must be on file with MC Financial Aid to access the Financial Aid Portal and apply for scholarships.
If the student's FAFSA application is not on file with MC Financial Aid, the student
needs to complete the FAFSA application, and once processed, will have access to complete
the general scholarship application.
How to Apply
- Go to our Financial Aid Portal, by clicking this link: Financial Aid Portal
- Log in using your SSN and Password. If this is your first time, click the "First Time User" link under the Submit button in the "Log In" box.
- Click the menu button at the top left-hand corner.
- Select the Scholarship Application.
For additional scholarship details and deadlines, visit the General Scholarships page.
Area 3. Add content here.
Visit the course catalog for the most complete and up-to-date information.
Dean of Education
Helen L. Greathouse-West
Why study Childcare and Development at MC?
Apply to MC Now
Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.