Interested in Scheduling an Ultrasound with one of our Students?
- You must have a doctor
- You must be between 19-34 weeks gestation
Joining Our Program
A career in sonography offers a wide variety of exams and procedures. A sonographer must be a driven individual with excellent marketable and critical thinking skills including:
- Active Listening – Listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- Social Perceptiveness – Understanding people's reactions
- Reading Comprehension – Reading work-related information
- Speaking – Talking to others
- Critical Thinking – Thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- Monitoring – Keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements.
- Time Management – Managing your time and the time of other people
- Active Learning – Figuring out how to use new ideas or things
Most diagnostic imaging workers are employed in hospitals or work in physicians’ offices or medical and diagnostic laboratories. There are a number of in-demand career possibilities including:
- Respiratory Therapy Technicians
- Radiologic Technicians
- Neurodiagnostic Technologists
- Cardiovascular Technologists and Technicians
- Radiation Therapists
- Nuclear Medicine Technologists
- Respiratory Therapists
- Endoscopy Technicians
- Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technicians
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) says the employment of diagnostic medical sonographers and cardiovascular technologists and technicians is projected to grow 17% from 2016 to 2026, much faster than the average for all occupations. As the large baby-boom population ages, the need to diagnose medical conditions—such as blood clots and heart disease—will likely increase.
- Apply to Midland College
MC Application & Enrollment Info
- Complete the Sonography Program Application and Criminal History Background Check
Sonography Admission Packet (pdf)
- Satisfy requirements for Texas Success Initiative (TSI):
Texas Success Initiative
- Take the ATI Test of Essential Academic Skills (ATI TEAS) and score minimum level
MC Testing Services
- Complete Clinical Site visit
- Required Immunizations:
- Mumps-Measles-Rubella (MMR, 2 doses)
- Hepatitis B (3 doses)
- Varicella (Chicken Pox) - 2 doses or verification of disease
- Tetanus Diphtheria Pertussis (Tdap) - 1 dose within the last 10 years
- Completion of the following courses with a minimum grade of “C”:
- PHYS 1415 - Physical Science I or PHYS 1401, College Physics I
- BIOL 2401 - Anatomy and Physiology I
- MATH 1314 - College Algebra
- ENGL 1301 - Composition I
- HPRS 1106 - Essentials of Medical Terminology
What to Expect if Accepted
- Class meets on campus one day per week during each semester.
- Clinical is completed at the assigned clinical site 3 days per week from 8-5.
- Students are required to maintain CPR license and personal health insurance throughout the duration of the program.
2017-2018 Program Outcomes
- Student Retention: 77%
- Job Placement: 80%
- Credential Success Rates
- Abdominal/Superficial Structures: 0%
- Obstetrics/Gynecology: 57%
- SPI: 75%
Apply for General Scholarships through the Financial Aid Portal
How to Apply
- Login to My MC Portal
- Click the Students tab
- Click the "Financial Aid Portal" link
- Under Log In, provide your Social Security Number and password. If you do not have a password, click the "First Time User" link at the bottom-right and follow prompts.
For additional general scholarship details and deadlines, visit the General Scholarships
Missing the "Financial Aid Portal" link?
To have access to the Financial Aid portal and apply for scholarships, the student's FAFSA application must be on file with MC Financial Aid.
If the students FAFSA application is not on file with MC Financial Aid, the student
must fill out the FAFSA application first and once processed, will be able to complete
the general scholarship application.
WHY STUDY SONOGRAPHY AT MC?
PLEASE NOTE: Completion of Midland College degrees and/or certificates does not guarantee eligibility to take a certification/registry/licensure examination. The eligibility of each person is determined on an individual basis by the regulatory body of the specific discipline. If you have a conviction of a crime other than a minor traffic violation, physical or mental disability/illness, hospitalization/treatment for chemical dependency within the past five years, current intemperate use of drugs or alcohol or a previous denial of a licensure or action by a licensing authority, you will need to contact the specific regulatory body for an individual ruling. Some programs require a criminal background check and urine and drug screen.
Apply to MC Now
Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.