Health Information ManagementHIM
Joining Our Program
The following must be completed before applying:
- Apply to Midland College at www.applytexas.org as a Pre-Health Professions major (for Associate degrees and Coding/Billing Certificates) and complete the following
courses with a "C" or better:
- HITT 1205: Medical Terminology
- BCIS 1305 or BCIS 1405: Business Computer Applications Course (3 or more hours)
- BIOL 2404: Human Anatomy and Physiology OR BIOL 2401 & BIOL 2402
- HIM Associate degree - math, reading, and writing
- Coding & Billing Certificate - math, reading, and writing
- Other certificates do not require TSIA completion
Complete application packet
Applications are accepted year-round and students are accepted upon completion of prerequisites and maintaining a GPA of 2.0.
Download the application packet, complete the application, sign in ink, and return to Alma Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to:
Attn: HIM Dept
3600 N. Garfield
Midland, TX 79705
Students will be required to have a TB screening, vaccinations as required by participating facility, liability insurance and a negative drug screen prior to any clinical course.
All students should be prepared to do clinical experiences at a location apart from where they reside. Any expenses incurred in doing a clinical away from home, including transportation, parking, and living expenses are the responsibility of the student and are not included in tuition costs.
Individuals who have been convicted of a felony may be denied clinical placement by facilities, thereby making completion of the program impossible. The program will not guarantee clinical placement to students with a criminal background.
Work Experience Credit
If you have work experience in the health information/coding/billing area, credit consideration will be taken on a case-by-case basis. Proof of employment (by letter on company letterhead), a current resume, and job description are part of the requirements to request Work Experience Credit. Clinical courses will not be waived, but the number of clinical hours may be reduced.
If you have a current CCS or CCS-P credential and maintain your CEUs while attending college, you may receive credit for the following classes:
- HITT 1205 Medical Terminology
- HITT 1341 Coding and Classification Systems
- HITT 1342 Ambulatory Coding
- HITT 2335 Coding and Reimbursement Methodologies
- HITT 2340 Advanced Medical Billing and Reimbursement
Proof of the active credential needs to be on file with the HIM program throughout the completion of the program.
Program estimated cost
|Health Data Coordinator||$1,731|
|Medical Coding Specialist||$3,544|
|HIM Associate Degree||$6,209|
Tuition estimates are based on full-time hours for each program with the assumption that no previous coursework has been completed. Estimates based on academic year 2016-2017.
New book costs are estimated to be $2,500 for AAS degree, $2,000 for Medical Coding Specialist Certificate, and $1,000 for other certificates.
Program courses require proctored exams. Students are responsible for any costs associated with proctor examinations.
To apply for any MC Scholarship through AcademicWorks:
1. APPLY at https://midland.academicworks.com
2. Confirm the link sent to your email and complete application
3. Check your MC student email for notifications of award
4. Accept award & write your electronic thank you letter to the donor
*Already receiving a scholarship? Don't forget to update your application each semester! You will receive an email when it is time to do so.
WHAT MAKES A GREAT HIM STUDENT?
Michelle nelson, 2017
Apply to MC Now
Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.