Health Information ManagementHIM
Joining Our Program
The following must be completed before applying:
- Apply to Midland College at www.applytexas.org as a Pre-Health Professions major (for Associate degrees and Coding/Billing Certificates) and complete the following
courses with a "C" or better:
- HITT 1205: Medical Terminology
- BCIS 1305 or BCIS 1405: Business Computer Applications Course (3 or more hours)
- BIOL 2404: Human Anatomy and Physiology OR BIOL 2401 & BIOL 2402
- HIM Associate degree - math, reading, and writing
- Medical Coding Specialist - does not require TSIA completion
- Health Data Coordinator - does not require TSIA completion
Complete application packet
Applications are accepted year-round and students are accepted upon completion of prerequisites and maintaining a GPA of 2.0.
Download the application packet, complete the application, sign in ink, and return to Jennifer Giglio at firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to:
Attn: HIM Dept
3600 N. Garfield
Midland, TX 79705
Students will be required to have a TB screening, vaccinations as required by participating facility, liability insurance and a negative drug screen prior to any clinical course.
All students should be prepared to do clinical experiences at a location apart from where they reside. Any expenses incurred in doing a clinical away from home, including transportation, parking, and living expenses are the responsibility of the student and are not included in tuition costs.
Individuals who have been convicted of a felony may be denied clinical placement by facilities, thereby making completion of the program impossible. The program will not guarantee clinical placement to students with a criminal background.
If you have a current CCS or CCS-P, CCA, or CPC credential and maintain your CEUs while attending college, you may receive credit for the following classes:
- HITT 1205 Medical Terminology
- HITT 1341 Coding and Classification Systems
- HITT 1342 Ambulatory Coding
- HITT 2335 Coding and Reimbursement Methodologies
- HITT 2340 Advanced Medical Billing and Reimbursement
- HITT 1161 Clinical - Health Information Management: Coding
Proof of the active credential needs to be on file with the HIM program throughout the completion of the program.
Program estimated cost In-District
Health Data Coordinator
Medical Coding Specialist
HIM Associate Degree
Tuition estimates are based on full-time hours for each program with the assumption that no previous coursework has been completed. Estimates based on academic year 2018-2019.
New book costs are estimated to be $2,500 for AAS degree, $2,000 for Medical Coding
Specialist Certificate, and $1,000 for Health Data Coordinator certificate.
Program courses require proctored exams. Students are responsible for any costs associated with proctor examinations.
Associate of Applied Science - Health Information Management Degree
Medical Coding Specialist Certificate
Health Data Coordinator Certificate
|HITT 1205 – Medical Terminology||X||X||X|
|BCIS 1305 – Computer Applications||X||X||X|
|BIOL 2404 – Anatomy & Physiology||X||X|
|HITT 1301 – Health Data Content & Structure||X||X||X|
|HITT 1311 – Health Information Systems||X||X||X|
|HITT 1353 – Legal & Ethical Aspects of HIM||X||X||X|
|Humanities/Fine Arts Elective||X|
|HITT 1345 - Healthcare Delivery Systems||X||X|
|HITT 2327 - Vendor Specific HIT Systems||X|
|HPRS 2301 - Pathophysiology||X||X|
|ENGL 1301 - Composition I||X|
|HITT 1341 - Coding & Classification Systems||X||X|
|HITT 1342 - Ambulatory Coding||X||X|
|HITT 2339 - Health Information
Organization & Supervision
|Social/Behavioral Science Elective||X|
|HITT 2335 - Coding & Reimbursement
|HITT 2343 - Quality Assessment &
|HITT 2340 - Advanced Medical Billing &
|HITT 1161 - Coding Clinical||X||X|
|HITT 2160 - HIM Clinical||X|
|HITT 2149 - RHIT Review||X|
Apply for General Scholarships through the Financial Aid Portal
How to Apply
- Login to your My MC Portal
- Click the Students tab
- Click the "Financial Aid Portal" link
- Under Log In, provide your Social Security Number and password. If you do not have a password, click the "First Time User" link at the bottom-right and follow prompts.
For additional general scholarship details and deadlines, visit the General Scholarships
Missing the "Financial Aid Portal" link?
To have access to the Financial Aid portal and apply for scholarships, the student's FAFSA application must be on file with MC Financial Aid.
If the students FAFSA application is not on file with MC Financial Aid, the student
must fill out the FAFSA application first and once processed, will be able to complete
the general scholarship application.
WHAT MAKES A GREAT HIM STUDENT?
HIM Program Contact Information
Main Campus - Davidson Family Health Science Building
Apply to MC Now
Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.