We live in a democratic government that is a dynamic force impacting virtually everything we do. Democracy requires a knowledgeable and involved citizenry. For this reason, all democratic citizens need to understand the fundamentals of the political system, including the institutions and processes of government at all levels. The government program at Midland College seeks to empower students to take on the role of an active and involved citizen.
The study of government and political science prepares students for a career path and/or transfer to a four-year university by emphasizing critical thinking and communication, as well as social and personal responsibility. Not only does the government program present the opportunity for students to discover the basis for democratic government, but it provides exposure to diverse perspectives and ideas that are essential to understanding our country and the world. The faculty strive to make the material relevant by linking the structure and processes of government to current events and contemporary concerns. With this foundation, students will possess the intellectual skills and tools to educate themselves continually, throughout their lives.
With an emphasis on citizenship, reading, writing and critical thinking, Government and political science courses prepare transfer students, career and technical students, as well as those entering the workforce with the necessary skills to be successful anywhere.
Click Links Below For Details
James Bradford Memorial Political Science Scholarship
Outstanding Students interested in pursuing a political science major may apply for a $300 scholarship.
Apply for General Scholarships through the Financial Aid Portal
The student's FAFSA application must be on file with MC Financial Aid to access the Financial Aid Portal and apply for scholarships.
If the student's FAFSA application is not on file with MC Financial Aid, the student
needs to complete the FAFSA application, and once processed, will have access to complete
the general scholarship application.
How to Apply
- Go to our Financial Aid Portal, by clicking this link: Financial Aid Portal
- Log in using your SSN and Password. If this is your first time, click the "First Time User" link under the Submit button in the "Log In" box.
- Click the menu button at the top left-hand corner.
- Select the Scholarship Application.
For additional scholarship details and deadlines, visit the General Scholarships page.
Midland College has articulation agreements with a variety of schools and programs
to assist our students with transferring to a university. Our curriculum maps, located
in the catalog, provide a guided path for general transfer to our top five receiving
institutions; however, your Pathways Advisor can assist you with a personalized plan
for your specific transfer based on university and program. It is strongly recommended
and encouraged that you contact your Pathways Advisor for assistance with course selection
if you plan to transfer.
Midland College has articulation agreements with a variety of schools and programs to assist our students with transferring to a university. Our curriculum maps, located in the catalog, provide a guided path for general transfer to our top five receiving institutions; however, your Pathways Advisor can assist you with a personalized plan for your specific transfer based on university and program. It is strongly recommended and encouraged that you contact your Pathways Advisor for assistance with course selection if you plan to transfer.
“Are you interested in American politics? International affairs? Critical issues such as public policy, globalization, terrorism, the environment, civil rights, political development, or foreign policy? Theories concerning the ideal government and how power and resources are allocated in society? Do you want to study these subjects and pursue a career based on them? If so, political science is the major for you. Political science delves into the study of governments, public policies, and political behavior. It is a social science which uses both humanistic perspectives and scientific skills to examine the United States and all countries and regions of the world."
As a political science major, you will hone the writing, communication, analytical and data skills that are fundamental to a liberal arts education. This kind of education will prepare you to think critically and independently, help you appreciate differing points of view, and broaden your knowledge of current affairs. Today, students can reasonably expect to change jobs more than once and even have more than one career. An undergraduate education in the liberal arts is excellent preparation for flexibility in employment.
Majoring in political science can qualify you for many different careers in private, for-profit, and non-profit organizations, as well as the public sector. Graduates can pursue careers in:
- business and finance
- state, local, and federal government
- elected office and campaign management
- journalism, media, and communications
- community service
- non-governmental and non-profit organizations
- Barack Obama, President of the United States 2009-2017 (Columbia University)
- Joe Biden, Vice President of the United States 2009-2017 (University of Delaware)
- Hillary Clinton, First Lady, U.S. Senator, U.S. Secretary of State and 2016 Presidential Candidate 2016 (Wellesley College)
- Paul Ryan, Speaker of the House, U.S. House of Representatives
- Dick Cheney, Vice President of the United States 2001-2009
- Condoleezza Rice, U.S. Secretary of State 2005-2009
- Julian Castro, mayor of San Antonio and Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (Stanford)
- Madeline Albright, U.S. Secretary of State, U.S. Ambassador to the UN
Other Public Figures
- Pete Wentz III, bassist and lyricist for Fall Out Boy
- Anderson Cooper, journalist, author and CNN news anchor
- Fareed Zakaria, journalist, author and CNN host
- Mia Hamm, U.S. soccer team, two World Cups and two Olympic Gold Medals (University of North Carolina)
- Richard Anderson, CEO at Delta Air Lines (University of Houston)
- Jerry Springer, Mayor of Cleveland and TV Host
Visit the course catalog for the most complete and up-to-date information.
Social & Behavioral Sciences
Marie Hall Academic Building
Apply to MC Now
Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.