Future Legacy Students
The Legacy Scholars Program provides access to college through full-ride scholarships to Midland College while simultaneously encouraging academic and personal success through one-on-one coaching, leadership and philanthropy training, and accountability for academic progress. Successful Legacy Scholars are motivated students who are passionate about their education and their community. Program candidates come from all economic backgrounds and have a variety of majors and career goals, but they share a belief that continuing their education after high school will be a key component to their future success and ability to contribute to their communities.
- Monday, February 13, 2023, 6 - 7 pm
Marie Hall Academic Building, Room 101
- Tuesday, March 7, 2023, 6 - 7 pm
- Thursday, April 13, 2023, 6 - 7 pm
Marie Hall Academic Building, Room 101
- Wednesday, May 3, 2023, 6 - 7 pm
2023 Application Deadline
Wednesday, May 31, 2023
Students who graduate high school in December 2022 or May 2023 should apply by this date for priority consideration.
Legacy Scholars Program
Students selected for the Legacy Scholars Program are provided a scholarship to cover all tuition and course-related fees at Midland College for up to four semesters (fall and spring). The Legacy Scholarship does not cover books or supplies, and students with an EFC of more than $100,000 will not be awarded scholarship dollars. Eligibility is checked at the end of each semester for the upcoming term.
Midland College partners each Legacy student with a STRIVE Success Coach, who is a caring faculty or staff member trained to help students advocate for themselves and finish their degrees as efficiently as possible.
Students are exposed to leadership principles to prepare them to take charge, think strategically, grow their networks, and motivate others.
Through individual and group efforts, students grow their understanding of nonprofits and charitable organizations. They use this knowledge to use their time, talent, and treasure for the wellness of the community.
Each year, completed applications will be reviewed at the deadline. Preference will be given to first generation college students with financial need (based on the FAFSA) who are interested in high-demand fields in the Midland area. Students are eligible to apply for the program for the school year following their high school graduation.
Steps for High School Seniors:
- Complete the Midland College Application Process
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Complete the Legacy Scholars Program Application
- Meet GPA Requirement
Graduate from within Midland County with a 2.75+ GPA on the 4.0 scale. Students with a 2.5-2.74 GPA will be considered with a letter of recommendation from a high school teacher or counselor.
- Volunteer Service
Complete 40 hours of volunteer service through the Legacy Volunteer website and submit the Volunteer Resume. Students can begin accumulating volunteer hours beginning the summer following their junior year of high school.
To track volunteer hours for the Legacy Scholars Program, complete the following steps. Students can start accumulating hours the summer after their junior year and up until the application deadline.
- Create an account by navigating to the Legacy Volunteer website, then clicking the yellow “Sign Up” button.
- Click the “Volunteer Opportunities” link on the left and browse the opportunities
listed. “Ongoing" means either flexible or multiple opportunities; “Event" or "Happens
On" is a specific date/time.
- Find an opportunity that matches your interests and schedule.
Click "Respond" in the opportunity and "Submit Volunteer Opportunity Response."
- Contact the agency to schedule and complete your volunteer shifts.
- After you’ve volunteered, log into your account to track your hours.
- From your Dashboard, click the “Volunteer Hours” link in the middle of the page.
- Click “Track Hours” and “Add Hours” to fill in all information;
- Click “Submit Hour Entry” and your hours will be sent to the agency to approve.
- Once you have 40+ hours approved and are ready to submit your hours for your Legacy
Application, log in to your Dashboard and click “Volunteer Resume” on the right.
- Select the appropriate date range and click “Go.”
- A PDF will download automatically. Attach that PDF to your Legacy Application or through the Legacy Volunteer Service Hours Form.
Once an account has been created through the Legacy Volunteer website, download the CauseConnect app for Android or iPhone. CauseConnect allows users to search for opportunities, receive notifications, and log hours on the run.
Legacy Program Director