Disability Services

Midland College is committed to helping students achieve their educational goals. The Disability Services Department at MC helps students with documented disabilities achieve these goals through services including advising, accommodations, and referral.

ADA Logo


The Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act require that no otherwise qualified person with a disability be denied access to, or the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination of any program or activity provided by an institution or entity receiving federal financial assistance. It is this Section 504 mandate that has promoted the development of disability support service programs in colleges and universities across the country. Sub-part E of Section 504 deals specifically with this mandate for institutions of higher education. While it does not require that special educational programming is developed for students with disabilities, it does require that an institution (public or private) be prepared to make appropriate academic adjustments and reasonable accommodations to allow the full participation of students with disabilities in the same programs and activities available to non-disabled students.

In regards to service animals and assistance/emotional support animals, they are not pets. They are an animal that works, provides assistance, or performs tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability, or provides emotional support that alleviates one or more identified symptoms or effects of a person’s disability. Midland College is committed to compliance with state and federal laws regarding individuals with disabilities. All questions regarding service animals and assistance/emotional support animals should be directed to the Student Disability Services office located in the Scharbauer Student Center, room 239, or call (432) 685-4505.

Accommodations application process

  1. Complete the Disabilities Accommodation Application:

    Disability Accommodation Application (pdf)

  2. Provide supporting documentation for your application.

    Usually, this is an evaluation by a qualified professional, such as a medical doctor, diagnostician and/or psychologist. We highly recommended that the evaluation is no more than five years old.  It should show current functioning of the student.

  3. Submit completed application and supporting documentation, one month before classes begin, for review:  sgrinnan@midland.edu or return to room 239 in the Scharbauer Student Center.

  4. After the counselors review your requests, you will be contacted to discuss disabilities and accommodations for the upcoming semester.

Note: Accommodations must be requested each semester.

The goal of Midland College is to help students achieve their educational goals.  Students have certain rights and responsibilities, Student Rights & Responsibilities section of the Midland College catalog.

If a student believes an action or decision made by an instructor or staff violates their rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act, they may initiate a grievance procedure. The first step should be to address the problem with the instructor or staff person. Next Disability staff can be consulted to help resolve the issue. If not satisfied, the student should contact the Dean of Enrollment Management.

If concerns are not resolved at this level, the Dean Enrollment Management can provide directions for the Student Due Process Appeal Procedure.

Labs & Resources

Tutoring Services

  • Midland College offers tutoring services to MC students
  • Tutoring services are available on the main campus
  • Questions? Contact Karen Harris at (432) 685-4799

Under the ADA, a service animal is defined as a dog that has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability. The task(s) performed by the dog must be directly related to the person's disability. No documentation will be required to bring certified service animals into academic buildings on campus. Federal law does not require the individual to provide documentation that an animal has been trained as a service animal. Midland College may, however, ask if the animal is required because of a disability, as well as what work or task the animal has been trained to perform.

The student/handler is responsible for maintaining control, caring for and supervising the service animal, which includes toileting, immediate clean-up, proper disposal of all animal waste, feeding, grooming and veterinary care. Service animals must be clean and heathy and their handlers must abide by all local and state animal regulations including vaccinations and licensing. Dogs must have proof of compliance with city ordinances regarding registration and vaccination.

Service animals must be on a leash. Service animals whose behavior poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others or is disruptive to the campus community may be excluded regardless of training, documentation, or certification. Animals whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support, or to act as a crime deterrent, do not qualify as service animals.

  • Contact Midland College Disability Services at (432) 685-4505 for questions about service animals.

  • Contact the Midland College Housing Department at (432) 685-6467 for questions about assistance/emotional support animals in student housing.

The State of Texas does recognize Service Animals in Training to have access to the same areas as trained service animals as long as they are accompanied by an approved trainer. Midland College requires the student to provide documentation of their certification as the trainer from an approved organization.

Apply to MC Now

Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.

How to Apply