Career & Transfer Center
Home to a variety of support functions for Midland College students! We assist with your career planning and job placement needs.
First Tuesday Career Conversations
Topic: Connecting Majors to Careers
October 4, 2022
October 1, 2022
11 am – 5 pm
Express Employment Professionals is partnering with top companies in the Permian Basin. Join us for fun and prizes as we match candidates with jobs.
Interviews and offers SAME DAY for qualified candidates.
Services for Students
Looking for a Job?
Visit College Central - Midland and register as a student with your MC email address.
Or, contact Liz Zenteno, Career & Student Resource Advisor at (432) 685-4507 or email@example.com.
May not be approved for Legacy Scholarship hours.
Midland College frequently receives requests for volunteers from local agencies. If
you are interested in volunteering, please review the opportunities below and contact
Louise Powell at (432) 685-5524 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Angel Care Hospice
Seeking volunteers for a variety of positions
Casa de Amigos
Seeking volunteers to help with income tax preparation
United Way of Midland
Senior Link Midland
FEDERAL WORK STUDY ELIGIBILITy
Federal Work Study jobs are available in different departments on campus. A student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), qualify for Federal Work Study, and be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours in order to apply. Work Study jobs are only available in the fall and spring semester of each school year.
The Office of Financial Aid will send eligible students an award letter stating the
amount of Work-Study granted to the student, or students may view their Federal Work
Study award in their financial aid portal. Work Study enables students to work on
campus approximately 15 hours a week, depending on
their award amount, at $9.20 per hour. Limited positions are available and an interview does not guarantee employment. A potential employee must agree to a background check, which will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
APPLYING FOR A WORK STUDY POSITION
- Check your financial aid portal or your financial aid award letter to make sure you have a Federal Work Study award before proceeding.
- At the link below, you may view the current Work Study positions available and complete
the online Work Study Application:
Online Work Study Application
- You will be required to upload your Financial Aid Award Letter and a copy of your school schedule as you complete and submit the Work Study Application.
- To be considered for a particular Work Study position, you will need to contact the Career & Transfer Center to obtain the department’s contact information, then you will contact the department and ask to interview for the position. The Career and Transfer Center will provide you a copy of your application to take to the interview.
Career & Transfer Center
GETTING AND STARTING THE JOB
- If you are selected as a candidate for a position, you will be contacted by the Human Resources (HR) department to grant your permission for a background check. The background check will be used to determine eligibility for employment.
- Once the department receives approval from HR to proceed with the hire, you will be contacted to sign a Personnel Status Form (PSF) and other required documents in the HR office.
- You may not begin work until all paperwork is complete and the HR Office issues a form of completion (Blue Slip). The Blue Slip must be taken to the Work Study supervisor on the first day of work.
CAREER ASSESSMENT & ADVISING
Career assessment is a way to learn more about how well a variety of careers might suit you.
Each assessment focuses on a specific area, such as skills, interests, or values. Typically, an assessment asks you to answer questions about your likes, dislikes, what is important to you, and your strengths.
Schedule an appointment for career assessment and advising by contacting Liz Zenteno at (432) 685-4507 or email@example.com.
SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT
Contact the Career & Transfer Center for an appointment with our staff to review your resume: (432) 685-4507 or Lzenteno@midland.edu.
WHAT TO BRING
Bring the following materials/information to your appointment:
- Employment History - employers, dates, responsibilities
- Education - schools/seminars/workshops attended
- Special Skills - foreign languages, tools and equipment, for example
- References - be sure to check with them before you list them
- Anything Else You Think Might Help Your Job Search
Resume templates are available in the Career & Transfer Center, and our computers may be used to create and print resumes.
The Career & Transfer Center offers a variety of programs with information and tips
on where to search for jobs, how to interview, proper business attire and office etiquette.
JOB SEARCH GUIDANCE
Visit with us at the Career & Transfer Center, and we will help navigate job listings
and online job-search resources: (432) 685-4507 or Lzenteno@midland.edu.
Students may request assistance with interview preparation and/or acquiring proper interview attire by contacting Lzenteno@midland.edu or (432) 685-4507.
This handbook contains information on how to prepare for a career while in college.
Career exploration training and jobs, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor
Local job postings and services for students, alumni, and employers for Midland College students and alumni, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Global online employment solution for people seeking jobs, and employers who need people.
Detailed descriptions of the world of work for job seekers, students, researchers and more.
From the Texas Workforce Commission, an exploration tool built for students to research different careers and schools.
Also from the Texas Workforce Commission, a resource to show you how much your living expenses will cost, and the amount of money you will need to earn in order to pay those expenses.
Explore career paths with the federal government on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management website.
Helps students identify their dream career and the steps necessary to pursue it.
Apply to MC Now
Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.