Career & Student Resource Center
The Career & Student Resource Center posts job openings on job boards across campus for employers interested in hiring Midland College students. These are both full- and part-time jobs located in the Midland/Odessa area.
Students can also visit College Central to view and apply for jobs employers have posted online. Students may upload their
resumes for employers to view through College Central.
May not be approved for Legacy Scholarship hours.
Midland College frequently receives requests for volunteers from local agencies. If
you are interested in volunteering, please review the opportunities below and contact
Louise Powell at (432) 685-5524 or email@example.com for more information.
Casa de Amigos
United Way of Midland
Senior Link Midland
NeSoDak Bible Camp in Waubay
Federal Work-Study jobs are available in different departments on campus. A student must apply for FAFSA, qualify for Federal Work-Study, and be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours in order to apply. Work-Study jobs are only available in the Fall and Spring of each school year.
Financial Aid will send eligible students an award letter stating the amount of Work-Study granted to the student. Work-Study enables students to work on campus up to 15 hours a week, depending on eligibility, at $9.20 per hour. Limited positions are available and an interview does not guarantee employment. A potential employee must agree to a background check; employment is contingent upon a clear background check.
Applying for a Work-Study Position
- Complete the Work-Study Application:
Work-Study Application (pdf)
- Submit your award letter, with the approval stamp from the Financial Aid office, and
a copy of your school schedule to the Career & Student Resource Center.
- Complete a Criminal History Record Release form at the MC Human Resource (HR) Office,
Pevehouse Administration Building, Room 100.
- Visit the Career & Student Resource Center to complete the “Student Work Policies
and Contract” form.
Work-Study Policies and Contract (pdf)
- All original paperwork (application, award letter, schedule) must stay in the Career & Student Resource Center.
- The Career & Student Resource Center maintains the list of Work-Study positions and matches the student with the position(s) they best qualify for, but it is up to the student to contact the department(s) and schedule an interview.
- Students should dress appropriately and arrive promptly for all interviews.
- On the day of the interview, visit the Career & Student Resource Center first for
a copy of their application and schedule to take to the interview.
- Departments may choose to contact the student directly after reviewing the application,
so students should check messages frequently and return calls as soon as possible.
Helpful Tip: Be sure to get the caller’s full name and phone number
Getting the Job
- If offered a position after the interview, return to the Career & Student Resource
Center for the original application and forms.
- Personnel Status Form (PSF): The hiring department will sign your application, and
issue a PSF with HR. Both the student and the hiring supervisor will sign the “Work-Study
Policies and Contract” form.
- Return the "Work Study Policies and Contract" form to the Career & Student Resource
Center for the “Final Approval" signature.
- The student must submit all paperwork to the HR Office and sign the PSF and any other
- Students may not begin work until all paperwork is complete and the HR Office issues a form of completion (Blue Slip). The Blue Slip must be taken to the supervisor.
CAREER ASSESSMENT & ADVISING
Career assessment is a way to learn more about how well a variety of careers might suit you.
Each assessment focuses on a specific area, such as skills, interests, or values. Typically, an assessment asks you to answer questions about your likes, dislikes, what is important to you, and your strengths.
Schedule an appointment for career assessment and advising by contacting Liz Zenteno at (432) 685-4507 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT
Contact the Career & Student Resource Center for an appointment with our staff to review your resume: (432) 685-5524 or email@example.com.
WHAT TO BRING
Bring the following materials/information to your appointment:
- Employment History - employers, dates, responsibilities
- Education - schools/seminars/workshops attended
- Special Skills - foreign languages, tools and equipment, for example
- References - be sure to check with them before you list them
- Anything Else You Think Might Help Your Job Search
Resume templates are available in the Career & Student Resource Center, and our computers may be used to create and print resumes.
The Career & Student Resource Center offers a variety of programs with information and tips on where to search for jobs, how to interview, proper business attire and office etiquette.
JOB SEARCH GUIDANCE
Visit with us at the Career & Student Resource Center, and we will help navigate job listings and online job-search resources: (432) 685-5524 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Career exploration training and jobs, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor
Local job postings and services for students, alumni, and employers for Midland College students and alumni, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Global online employment solution for people seeking jobs, and employers who need people.
Detailed descriptions of the world of work for job seekers, students, researchers and more.
From the Texas Workforce Commission, an exploration tool built for students to research different careers and schools.
Also from the Texas Workforce Commission, a resource to show you how much your living expenses will cost, and the amount of money you will need to earn in order to pay those expenses.
Explore career paths with the federal government on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management website.
Helps students identify their dream career and the steps necessary to pursue it.
Apply to MC Now
Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.