Important Information for Veterans

Important Information for Veterans



  • Located in the Scharbauer Student Center (SSC), Room 131
  • Email:
  • Phone: (432) 685-4511


  • SSC 132
  • For Veterans and dependents


  • SSC 133
  • For Veterans and dependents

A student wishing to receive VA education benefits must submit a written request to the VA Coordinator every semester. Complete the online Veteran Request for Certification form or pick one up in the in the VA Coordinator's office.

Veterans Certification Form (pdf)

Students must be registered for classes before submitting the Request for Certification form online, in person, or via email

Unfortunately, there is not much that the MC Veterans Affairs office can do if you are not paid. However, the first thing you can do is to call our office to ensure that your certification was submitted. If it was submitted, you should call the VA at 1-888-442-4551. The VA representatives at this number can look up your file when you provide them with your VA claim number. They are able to verify or deny receipt of your certification as well as determine whether your payment has been processed.

Many veterans assume that the Veterans Affairs office is automatically informed when there has been a change in the student's address, schedule or withdrawal from Midland College. This is not the case. Each veteran is PERSONALLY responsible for reporting ANY change in his/her status directly to the VA Coordinator.

All adds, drops and withdrawals MUST be reported by the veteran in order to receive the applicable benefits correctly. Remember, the veteran will be held responsible for all overpayments.

Changes of address or direct deposit information MUST be reported by the veteran to the VA Processing Office. This can be done by phone at 1-800-442-4551 or on the VA website at either the "WAVE" or the "ASK A QUESTION" feature.

A repeated course may only be certified by the VA if:

  • a minimum grade of "C" is required by a department as stated in the catalog.

  • a course is failed.

  • Courses that are failed or for which the grade does not meet minimum requirements for graduation may be certified for VA purposes if they are repeated. If students must take additional courses in order to raise their GPA to graduate, the courses must be courses that have not already been successfully completed by the student.

    NOTE: The VA will not allow payment for courses for which the student has already received credit. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that there is no repetition of a course that has been previously completed and passed.

VA students must meet the criteria for satisfactory progress as put forth in the Midland College catalog. A student who remains on academic probation for two consecutive terms must be reported to the RPO as making unsatisfactory progress.

Once reported for unsatisfactory progress benefits are terminated and cannot be resumed until the student attends and regains good academic standing at Midland College. The VA Coordinator will then report to the RPO the student’s renewed eligibility for VA education benefits.

For Fall and Spring semesters:

Full Time = 12 or more hours

3/4 Time = 9 to 11 hours

1/2 Time = 6 to 8 hours

Summer semesters:

Full Time = 4 hours in each 5-week session; 6 hours in each 8-week session

3/4 Time = 3 hours in each 5-week session; 5 hours in each 8-week session

1/2 Time = 2 hours in each 5-week session; 3 hours in each 8-week session

The Hazlewood Act (Section 54.203, Texas Education Code) exempts Texas veterans from payment of tuition and certain fees at state-supported institutions of higher education.

Financial Aid - Hazlewood

Recent changes have been made to this legislation affecting the eligibility of the veteran, the assignment of Hazlewood hours to certain dependents, and the ability of the veteran to use some federal education benefits concurrently with the Hazlewood Exemption. 

For more information, visit the Texas Veterans Commission website:

Texas Veterans Commission

Apply to MC Now

Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.

How to Apply