CanvasLearning Management System
New Canvas accounts are created about ONE week before the term begins. If students register
after that time, it can take up to 24 hours after the time of registration for Canvas
accounts to be created.
CANVAS STUDENT CONNECTION COURSE
This course provides an orientation on using Canvas, browser compatibility, setting up your notifications, etc. New Canvas students should review the course before your semester begins.
All students should be enrolled in the Canvas Student Connection course.
If the course does not appear on your Dashboard, click the "Courses" icon on the left toolbar, then click the "All Courses" link at the bottom of the list, then navigate to the course. If you still do not see it, submit a Canvas Help ticket by clicking the "Help" icon and selecting the "Report a Problem or Ask a Question" option. In the description field, be sure to include your name and MC student ID and we will add you to the course.
Semester COURSE ACCESS
In most cases, students will have access to courses at 12:01 am the first class day.
Attention! Online Students
Students MUST actively participate by completing an academic assignment required by the instructor by the official census date. Students who do not actively participate in an academically related activity will be reported as "never attended" and dropped from the course. Contact your instructor if you have any questions about this policy.
username: Midland College email address
Example: Joe Canvas with ID 123006789
Email Address: email@example.com
password: Midland College Student ID (no dashes) + Date of Birth (YYYYMMDD)
Example: Joe Canvas with ID 123006789 and date of birth January 31, 1999
Check your MC Acceptance email to find your Student ID.
Students are responsible for maintaining the security of their username and password.
Allowing others to access your Canvas account violates Student Conduct policy.
Canvas Login Webpage
First-time login Problem
To access Canvas the first time
- Double check that you are going to https://midland.instructure.com to access your account
- Review and carefully follow the instructions from the "Logging in to Canvas Tab" to make sure you are using the correct email address and password.
- If you have entered the correct email address and password (ID & birthday) and still
unable to sign-in, submit a Canvas Help ticket by clicking the Help link on the login
page and enter a personal email address to receive an email from support.
previously accessed Canvas and cannot remember password
- Click the "Forgot password?" link on the login page, https://midland.instructure.com
- Enter your MC email address when prompted. Do not use another email address, because Canvas does not recognize a personal email address as your username.
- Login to your MC email account and look for the email from Canvas/Instructure that
contains a link for you to reset your password.
Technical Difficulties using canvas
technical difficulties when logged into Canvas
- On a computer, click the "Help" link on the left side of the screen, in the dark-gray
- Select the best option for your problem/question:
- Ask Your Instructor a Question
Select the correct course, type in your question, and the message will be routed to your instructor
- Search the Canvas Guides
Find answers to common Canvas questions
- Report a Problem or Ask a Question
- Questions/problems are routed to a local MC admin
- Include your name, student ID, and email address, and detailed description of the problem
- Submissions will be sent to the MC Canvas Support Center
- Check your MC email for ALL support updates/responses
- Ask Your Instructor a Question
The Respondus LockDown Browser is a software program, integrated in Canvas, that locks down the testing environment for students. Some instructors use it to lock the browser and prevent students from visiting other web pages, print, etc. while taking a test.
NOTE: Chromebooks are NOT compatible. Click link below for more information about system requirements.
Respondus Monitor is an add-on feature to the LockDown Browser an instructor may use to proctor online exams. Students are required to have a web cam if the instructor enables this option.
There is a $15 fee/student for a one year subscription. The subscription is good for all MC courses for one year.
How to Set up
Watch the video below to learn how to set-up the LockDown Browser on your personal
Steps to Activate the LockDown Browser
- Download the software using the link below. This link provides the connection to the Midland
College account. This software is free to students.
LockDown Browser Software
- Install the software on your computer
- Before launching the new browser, close all other open application on your computer
- Go to the desktop/launchpad and click on the LockDown Browser icon
- Login to Canvas
- Navigate to the course to take your quiz
LockDown Browser Tips & Tricks
Using an iPad?
To use LDB with the iPad app, the instructor must activate that setting in Canvas. Contact your instructor if you have questions about using an iPad.
It is HIGHLY recommended that students download & install the software well in advance of taking the first quiz/test requiring it.
Students must use the link above (or the link provided in the Canvas course) to install
the correct version/connection to Midland College. This software is FREE to MC students.
If a student is being asked to pay, they are not using the correct link.
Need Additional Assistance?
Visit the Respondus Student Resources page for helpful videos, support FAQs, live chat, etc.
Apply to MC Now
Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.