CanvasLearning Management System
Attention Online Students
Students MUST actively participate by completing an academic assignment required by
the instructor by the official census date. Students who do not actively participate
in an academically related activity will be reported as "never attended" and dropped
from the course. Contact your instructor if you have any questions about this policy.
New Canvas accounts are created about ONE week before the term begins. If students register after that time, it can take up to 24 hours after the time of registration for Canvas accounts to be created.
In most cases, students will have access to courses at 12:01 am the first class day.
Canvas Student Connection Course
All students should be enrolled in the Canvas Student Connection course. The course provides an orientation on using Canvas, browser compatibility, setting up your notifications, etc. Please review the course before your semester begins.
username: Midland College email address
Example: Joe Canvas with ID 123006789
password: Midland College Student ID (no dashes) + Date of Birth (YYYYMMDD)
Example: Joe Canvas with ID 123006789 and date of birth January 31, 1999
Check your MC Acceptance email to find your Student ID.
VCT user accounts are created 2-3 days before the beginning of the term.
The email address you provided to the VCT college.
The student ID number at your VCT college. NOTE: If your student ID is less than eight characters, your password is your ID plus the
Example: password for ID 1234567 would be 1234567ab
First-time login Problem
To access Canvas the first time
- Double check that you are going to https://midland.instructure.com to access your account
- Review and carefully follow the instructions from the "Logging in to Canvas Tab" to make sure you are using the correct email address and password.
- If you have entered the correct email address and password (ID & birthday) and still
unable to sign-in, submit a Canvas Help ticket by clicking the Help link on the login
page and enter a personal email address to receive an email from support.
previously accessed Canvas and cannot remember password
- Click the "Forgot password?" link on the login page, https://midland.instructure.com
- Enter your MC email address when prompted. Do not use another email address, because Canvas does not recognize a personal email address as your username.
- Login to your MC email account and look for the email from Canvas/Instructure that
contains a link for you to reset your password.
Technical Difficulties using canvas
technical difficulties when logged into Canvas
- On a computer, click the "Help" link on the left side of the screen, in the dark-gray
- Select the best option for your problem/question:
- Ask Your Instructor a Question
Select the correct course, type in your question, and the message will be routed to your instructor
- Search the Canvas Guides
Find answers to common Canvas questions
- Report a Problem or Ask a Question
- Questions/problems are routed to a local MC admin
- Include your name, student ID, and email address, and detailed description of the problem
- Submissions will be sent to the MC Canvas Support Center
- Check your MC email for ALL support updates/responses
- Ask Your Instructor a Question
Respondus LockDown Browser (LDB) is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment
Activating the LockDown Browser
- Download the software
LockDown Browser Software
- Install the software on your computer
- Go to the desktop/launchpad and click on the LockDown Browser icon
- Login to Canvas to take your quiz
To use LDB with the iPad app, the instructor must activate that setting in Canvas. Contact your instructor if you have questions about using an iPad.
Apply to MC Now
Thank you for choosing Midland College! If you are here to collect a few credits, take courses to transfer, or here to start a new career, we welcome you.