Midland College PD Crime Prevention Personal Safety
Emergency: 911 MCPD: (432) 685-4734
The mission of the Midland College Police Department is to maintain a safe environment for students, staff, and visitors. It is our goal to assist you in any way possible. Your safety is of great importance to us. In keeping with this mission we provide many services to the public.
• If your purse or backpack is snatched, don’t fight it. There is nothing in it that can’t be replaced. It is
not worth getting hurt over.
• Avoid walking alone as much as possible. Having other people nearby is a great defense.
• Be alert when you’re alone. Be aware of who is around you.
• Walk confidently, directly and at a steady pace. Attackers look for someone who appears vulnerable.
• Walk near the curb; avoid shrubbery or other places of concealment.
• Avoid isolated or poorly-lit places and unpopulated areas, such as alleys, and vacant lots or buildings.
• Do not hitchhike.
• Be careful when people in a car stop and ask you for directions. Always reply from a distance and
never get too close to the car.
• If you think you are being stalked, call 911 or MCPD at (432) 685-4734. Also, check out
• Always stand near the control panel.
• If you suspect trouble or are attacked, push the alarm button and as many floor buttons as possible
so that the elevator will halt quickly, probably at the next floor.
• Respond to instinct, intuition or gut reactions. Don’t get on an elevator with someone who makes
you feel uneasy.
• If other passengers get off, leaving you with someone who makes you feel uneasy, get off with other
passengers and wait for the next elevator.
• Allow other passengers to push the buttons for their floors first.
Permission to reproduce these protocols was granted by University of Texas Police Department in Austin, Texas.
The mission of the Midland College Police Department is to maintain a safe environment for students, staff, and visitors.
Room 136, Scharbauer Student Center
MC Main Campus, 3600 North Garfield
Midland, TX 79705
Phone: 432-685-4734 or (Emergency 432-685-4911)