Prospective Students • Transferring

Reverse Transfer Degree Program | Transfer to Other Colleges | Transfer Appeal Process

Midland College accepts college-level transfer courses with a grade of “D” or better earned from accredited colleges and universities. Please note: some degree plans require a minimum grade of “C” to meet degree requirements. See Degrees, Certificates and Pre-Major Transfer Guides in MC's Online Catalog & Student Handbook for details.

All degrees with the exception of the AAS require students to complete the Core Curriculum.

 • Core Curriculum (online catalog)

Degree requirements must be completed within four years of start of program.

 • Specific Degree Requirements (online catalog)

Transfer coursework is evaluated by the end of the semester in which the transcript is received for all students other than those who are transient or non degree seeking. Transfer credit is granted only for work (a) completed at a regionally accredited institution, (b) evaluated by a recognized foreign transcript evaluator, or (c) completed at an approved institution. Transfer courses from Texas institutions with a Common Course Number and drawn from the Academic Course Guide are accepted. Courses found in the Workforce Education Course Manual may also be accepted. Courses not included in 3) above are evaluated based on content and semester credit hours with consultation with and approval of instructional administration as needed.

Transfer students are required to provide official copies of all transcripts from every college or university previously attended. As transcripts from accredited colleges and universities are received, they are evaluated in the Registrar’s Office. A copy of that evaluation is sent to the student at the address recorded in the student files. Continued enrollment is contingent on receipt of all transcripts.

Reverse Transfer Degree Program

Baccalaureate graduates from an accredited college or university may receive an Associate in Applied Science degree from Midland College upon successful completion of 30 semester hours of courses within a technical specialty area, any prerequisite leveling courses as determined by the appropriate dean and general education requirements. Students interested in the program should consult with a counselor in Student Services.

Transfer to Other Colleges 

Students planning to transfer to another college after attending Midland College should contact a counselor/advisor.

Students should select a major field of study and a college or university which offers a bachelor’s degree in that field. A Midland College counselor or advisor will help students select Midland College courses corresponding to those they would take at the college or university.

Students should check with the senior college or university regarding admission requirements and transfer regulations and should arrange for the Midland College Registrar to send an official transcript.

Transfer Appeal Process

Following are procedures for the resolution of disputes involving the transfer of courses from Midland College to other public institutions in Texas.

1. If an institution of higher education does not accept course credit earned by a student at another institution of higher education, the receiving institution shall give written notice to the student and to the sending institution that transfer of the course credit is denied. A receiving institution shall also provide written notice of the reasons for denying credit for a particular course or set of courses at the request of the sending institution.
 A student who receives notice as specified may dispute the denial of credit by contacting a designated official at either the sending or receiving institution.
 The two institutions and the student shall attempt to resolve the transfer of the course credit in accordance with Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board rules and guidelines.
 If the transfer dispute is not resolved to the satisfaction of the student or the sending institution within 45 days after the date the student received written notice of denial, the institution that denies the course credit for transfer shall notify the Commissioner of Higher Education of its denial and the reasons for the denial.
 The Commissioner of Higher Education or the Commissioner’s designee shall make the final determination about a dispute concerning the transfer of course credit and give written notice of the determination to the involved student and institutions.
 The Higher Education Coordinating Board shall collect data on the types of transfer disputes that are reported and the disposition of each case that is considered by the Commissioner’s designee.
7. If a receiving institution has cause to believe that a course being presented by a student for transfer from another school is not of an acceptable level of quality, it should first contact the sending institution and attempt to resolve the problem. In the event that the two institutions are unable to come to a satisfactory resolution, the receiving institution may notify the Commissioner of Higher Education, who may investigate the course. If its quality is found to be unacceptable, the Higher Education Coordinating Board may discontinue funding for the course.