HITECH Workforce Program • Overview
NEW! Rural Health IT Training Program for current rural health workers. Click link to the left for more information.
Crosstraining online for Healthcare and IT ProfessionalsThe HITECH Workforce Program is transitioning from a grant funded program to a 6 to 18 month certificate to allow professionals more time to work on their courses. The program is offered through Continuing Education through Summer 2013 (June and July start dates), and transitions to credit courses starting in Fall 2013. This program is an intensive, online, educational program designed to provide a qualified pool of Healthcare and IT workers to ensure a successful:
• Nationwide adoption of Electronic Health Records (EHRs),
• Information exchange across health care providers and public health authorities,
• Redesign of workflows within health care settings to gain quality and efficient benefits of EHRs,
• EHR Transition while maintaining privacy and security of medical information.
The HITECH Workforce Program is designed to cross train professionals with two years of experience or two years of education in either healthcare or Information Technology. Training will provide the individuals with knowledge, skills, and aptitudes necessary to implement and maintain electronic health records system in hospitals, physician's offices and clinics. See student testimonials: http://www.healthit.gov/sites/default/files/workforce_program_student_testimonials_v2_3.pdf
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics and Department of Education, approximately 50,000 qualified health information technology workers will be needed to meet the federal mandate which requires all Medicare and Medicaid providers to implement Electronic Health Records (EHR) by 2015. It is estimated that Texas will need 10,000 workers by 2015 with upgraded skills for both EHR and Health Information Exchange (HIE). Reference: Texas State Workforce Needs Survey
Next Classes begin : January 13, 2014. Application deadline is ten working days prior to start dateNOTE: The College is closed December 13, 2013 and offices reopen on January 2nd, 2014.
Courses are offered every eight weeks. Courses will be offered as credit and continuing education (CE) effective August 2013. CE tuition rates will be based on in-district rates. Credit course tuition is based on location. See tuition rates at: http://www.midland.edu/docs/admissions/fees_tuition.pdf. Estimate for tuition with fees for in-district courses is $350 for 2 hour courses and $425 for 3 hour courses.
- Classes are set on an eight week schedule (six weeks in summer sessions).
- Students may start the program during any 8-week session (six-week sessions during the summer).
- Program is completely online.
- Two (2) classes per eight week session is recommended, however, students may choose to take only one course at a time due to other obligations.
- The certificate options prepare students for the Certified Health Technician Specialist credientialing exam (CHTS) offered through AHIMA (previously HITPRO).
- Expected time needed to be successful in the course is estimated at 5-8 hours a week depending previous background and education. See HITECH Application below for more details.
• HITECH Application (.pdf file)
• AHIMA CE Credits (.pdf file)