121 AHSF (432) 685-4630
- Master's Degree in Geology at Baylor University - 1981 Thesis - "Facies Analysis and Petroleum Potential of the Jurassic Smackover Formation Eastern and Northern Areas East Texas Basin"
- Bachelor of Science in Geology at Indiana University of Pennsylvania - 1979 Undergraduate Thesis - "Facies analysis of the Tully Limestone Southwestern New York"
- Exxon Co. USA - Houston, Texas Exploration Geologist, North Alaska 1981-1984
- Exxon Co. USA - Midland, Texas Research Geologist - Labarge Field, SW Wyoming 1984-1987
Production Geologist - SE New Mexico 1987-1992
- Midland College Geology Instructor 2003- present
- Hancharik, J. M., 1981, Facies Analysis and Petroleum Potential of the Jurassic Smackover Formation Eastern and Northern Areas East Texas Basin,
- The Jurassic of East Texas pp. 67-78. Ed. Mark W. Presley,Pub., East Texas Geological Society, 1984
- Waggoner, K., and Gawloski J., 2010,2012, Physical Geology Lab Manual, Pub.Kendal Hunt
117 AHSF (432) 685-5580
- MS in Geology, Sul Ross State University
- PhD (ABD), Washington State University
- Volcanology, Igneous Petrology, Structural Geology, Planetary Geology
- Geochemical and structural evolution of the Trans-Pecos Volcanic Province
- Tectonic evolution of planetary bodies
- Archaeological sources of artifacts through geochemical analyses
- A Case Study of Greenstone in the Davis Mountains, Texas: A Possible Source for Lunate Stones Walter, R. and Giles, A., Archaeological Explorations of the Eastern Trans-Pecos and Big Bend: Collected Papers, Volume 1, Eds. Dasch, P. and Mallouf, R., Papers of the Trans-Pecos Archaeological Program, No. 6, 2013.
- Recognition of variants of A-type rhyolite: a comparison of the Snake River plain and Trans-Pecos Texas volcanic provinces A.N. Giles and J.A. Wolff, American Geophysical Union Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Two petrologic types of high-grade ignimbrite? A comparison between rhyolites of the Trans-Pecos Texas and central Snake River plain volcanic fields, Giles, Antony N.; Wolff, John A.; Larson, Peter A.; Urbanczyk, Kevin M: Abstracts with Programs - Geological Society of America, March 2008, Vol. 40, Issue 3, pp. 11-12
- Geochemical Evolution of the Chinati Mountains, Presidio County, Texas (Master’s Thesis, 2006). Advisor: Dr. K. Urbanczyk (SRSU).
- Application of Lineament Analysis to Groundwater Availability Models, Urbanczyk, Kevin and Giles, Antony: Texas Groundwater Meeting, 2005.
- Volume loss during formation of slaty cleavage in the Mazarn Shale (Ordovician) of Arkansas
- (unpublished). Advisor: Dr. J. Connelly (UALR).
- Seismic possibilities of a ring laser (unpublished). Advisors: Dr. J. Connelly (UALR) and Dr. B. Dunn (Hendrix College, Conway, AR).
- Survey of the Fauna of the Anona Chalk (Cretaceous) of South Arkansas (unpublished). Advisor: Dr. J. Thurmond (UALR)
Keonho Kim, Ph.D.
116 AHSF (432) 685-4739
Education & Professional Experiences
- Associate Professor in Geology (2013 – present) – Midland College, Texas
- Associate Professor in Geology & Biology (2007-2012) – Alice Lloyd College, Kentucky
- Master of Science in Biology (2005) – State University of New York, Buffalo
- Doctor of Philosophy in Geology (2001) – State University of New York, Buffalo
- Master of Science in Geology (1991) – Seoul National University, South Korea
- Bachelor of Science in Geology (1987) – Seoul National University, South Korea
Courses taught – Physical Geology, Historical Geology, Environmental Geology, Stratigraphy and Paleontology, Atmospheric and Oceanic Science, Survey of Physical Sciences, and Meteorology.
Research Interests – Geometric Morphometrics that can be applied to broad research areas such as in paleobiology, biology, ecology and anthropology; Invertebrate Paleontology (esp. trilobites) and Stratigraphy; Trace fossils; and Evolution.
- Haney, R. A., Mitchell, C. E., and Kim, K., 2001. Geometric morphometric analysis of patterns of shape change in the Ordovician brachiopod Sowerbyella. Palaios, v.16, p.113-123.
- Kim, K., Sheets, H. D., Haney, R. A., and Mitchell, C. E., 2002. Morphometric analysis of ontogeny and allometry of the Middle Ordovician trilobite Triarthrus becki. Paleobiology, v.28, p.364-377.
- Sheets, H. D., Kim, K., and Mitchell, C. E., 2004. A combined landmark and outline-based approach to ontogenetic shape change in the Ordovician trilobite Triarthrus becki. In Elewa, A.M.T. (ed.) Morphometrics - Applications in Biology and Paleontology, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, Germany, Pp.67-82.
- Kim. K., Kotov, A. A, and Taylor, D. J., 2006. Hormonal induction of undescribed males resolves cryptic species of cladocerans. Proc. R. Soc. Lond., B. v. 273, p.141-147.
- Kim, K., Mitchell, C. E., and Sheets, H. D., 2009. Geographic and stratigraphic change in the morphology of Triarthrus becki (Green) (Trilobita): A test of the Plus ça change model of evolution. Lethaia, v.42, p.108-125.