Manual of Policies
Adopted: August 18, 1987
Revised: November 17, 2009
of contents] [Revisions and/or Additions
to Manual of Policies - PDF]
[back to the Midland College home page]
Statement of Purpose
Midland College will be West Texas’ premier learner-centered institution offering programs and services that support and inspire student learning and community enrichment. With twenty-first century campuses, the College will empower students to achieve success.
Midland College is a comprehensive community college that is dedicated to excellence, has a commitment to learning, and promotes a life-long quest for knowledge. The institution supports individual and economic development in its service area and beyond by offering certificates, associate and baccalaureate degrees, workforce and continuing education opportunities, and comprehensive student support services. Midland College also provides a variety of community services, cultural and educational enrichment opportunities to the West Texas region.
Upon establishment, Midland College embraced the core values of Faith, Knowledge, Truth, Understanding and Wisdom as evidenced by the College seal. To these, the following have been added:
• Quality -- learning experiences to help students achieve their personal and professional goals
• Diversity -- commitment to the dignity and worth of all individuals
• Continuous enrichment -- academic, professional, and personal growth of students and employees
• Effective learning -- preparation of students for roles as citizens in a rapidly changing global economy
• Academic freedom -- safe environment where competing beliefs and ideas can be openly discussed and debated
• Stewardship -- efficient, effective, and ethical use of public and private resources
• Collaboration -- introspection and communication predicated upon a foundation of mutual trust and support
• Accountability -- using a student focused, outcomes based approach to demonstrate the quality of a program (or college) to key stakeholders
No person shall be
excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or be subject
to discrimination under, any program or activity sponsored or conducted
by Midland College, on any basis prohibited by applicable law, including,
but not limited to race, color, age, marital status, national origin,
religion, gender, disability, or status as a qualified disabled veteran
or veteran of the Vietnam era.
This Manual sets policy only and is to be used only as a guideline. This
Manual does not constitute a contract and does not imply any contractual
rights. The provisions of this Manual are subject to change or withdrawal
by the Midland College Board of Trustees at any time and without notice.
No exception to, waiver of, or failure to enforce the policies and procedures
contained herein shall constitute any modification or waiver of these
policies and procedures by the College, and further shall not create any
contract between the College and any employee.