Midland's Legacy Scholarship Program Application
Legacy Scholarship Amount and What the Scholarship Covers
Midland's Legacy Scholarship Program covers tuition and fees up to $1050 per semester for full-time enrollment. The scholarship is only applicable for fall and spring semesters. Summer and interim sessions are not covered. The scholarship does not include books. Funds may not be exceeded or carried forward.
Application Information and Timeline
Scholarships are awarded to completed applications meeting all the requirements below on a first come first serve basis. Completed Legacy Applications will be accepted on January 2 (or the next business day) before the first semester of attendance. For example, applications for the 2013-2014 school year can be turned in beginning January 2013. Helpful hint: Complete your Legacy Hours no later than the summer prior to senior year of high school for your first year and the summer prior to your freshman year at Midland College for your second year.
PDF timeline found here.
Requirements and Guidelines
1. Graduation: Student must graduate from a Midland County high school.
2. GPA: Student must graduate with a 2.75 or higher grade point average on a 4.0 scale (scholarship is pending until final graduation transcripts are checked).
3. Community Service: Student must complete at least forty (40) hours of community service per academic year. Students can begin their volunteer hours the summer after their junior year of high school. The community service must be completed at an approved Legacy Volunteer Agency before application is considered complete. View a complete list of approved agencies on the Midland College website. ONLY the type of community service listed on the Legacy Scholarship website and completed with one of the approved agencies will be counted toward the forty (40) hours required.
4. Time Limit: The Legacy Scholarship must be used within two years of high school graduation. A request for exception may be made by students with medical exemptions or military service. These exceptions are not guaranteed and are at the discretion of the college.
5. Enrollment: In order to receive this scholarship, students must enroll in at least six (6) hours.
6. Maintain Eligibility: Students must complete 75% of the courses for which they are funded with a minimum 2.0 GPA. If a student does not meet these requirements, the scholarship will be forfeited until satisfactory academic progress is attained. Students who completely withdraw from all classes will also forfeit the scholarship.
7. Renewal: Scholarship recipients that maintain satisfactory academic progress are eligible for four long semesters of funding from the scholarship within the two year limit described above. This scholarship is not automatically renewed each year. Students must reapply for the succeeding semesters and complete additional 40 hours of community service. Renewal applications can be turned into financial aid in January of your freshman year.
8. Orientation: All Legacy recipients will be required to attend an orientation.
2013 Orientation Dates:
Thursday, June 20th, 10:00 - 10:45 am
Thursday, July 18th, 6:00 - 6:45 pm
Thursday, August 22nd, 1:00 - 1:45 pm
Thursday, August 22nd, 2:00 - 2:45 pm
All orientations will be held in the Carrasco Room of the Scharbauer Student Center.
Information and Application Forms
The Midland College Financial Aid forms are available for download in PDF format. To read and print these forms, students will need Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Midland's Legacy Scholarship Program Information
Contact: Susan Benham
Midland's Legacy Scholarship Program Volunteer Agency Information
Contact: Julia Vickery