Manual of Policies
Adopted: August 18, 1987
Statement of Purpose
Midland College is a comprehensive public community college dedicated to educational excellence. The faculty and staff are committed to instruction that sustains a life-long quest for knowledge and provides students with academic, intellectual, occupational, and professional proficiency — including knowledge in and appreciation of the arts and sciences; critical thinking; clear and effective communication; problem solving; and technical skills. The College serves the diverse learning communities of its region by providing a range of flexible programs from community service and enrichment to the baccalaureate degree.
1. Midland College will provide an academic and occupational focus for business and professional learning environments through the following options:
2. Midland College will provide flexible educational opportunities by combining traditional methods with effective and innovative teaching methods, including interactive distance learning, computer-based instruction, and developmental assessment and response.
3. Midland College will respond to community, business, professional, and regional needs by providing credit, non-credit, and continuing education courses; workforce training; community service; and cultural opportunities.
4. Midland College will provide student services to reduce barriers to success and strengthen efforts in student retention.
5. Midland College will cooperate with other institutions and agencies through articulation agreements and the University Center in seeking and creating new avenues for student access to post secondary education.
6. Midland College will provide services which create and support a strong infrastructure, such as accounting and business services, campus security, human resources, campus planning and evaluation, physical plant operation and maintenance, technology support, student services, and media services.
Equal Opportunity Statement
No person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under, any program or activity sponsored or conducted by Midland College, on any basis prohibited by applicable law, including, but not limited to race, color, age, marital status, national origin, religion, gender, disability, or status as a veteran.
This Manual sets policy only and is to be used only as a guideline. This Manual does not constitute a contract and does not imply any contractual rights. The provisions of this Manual are subject to change or withdrawal by the Midland College Board of Trustees at any time and without notice. No exception to, waiver of, or failure to enforce the policies and procedures contained herein shall constitute any modification or waiver of these policies and procedures by the College, and further shall not create any contract between the College and any employee.